Sunday, April 8, 2007

Black & White



What kind of color is gray when compared to white and black?









Is it dark or light?
It is lighter than black but it isn't as light as white.
It is darker than white but not black.
I don't know if that at all explains our situation, I mean it does to me but I don't know if that is a good way to explain it.
I guess I look for the impossible and expect to find God somewhere around there.
Through our consistent presence, what I call "Stayability"(the ability to stay around day after day, through all the drama, frustration, pain, sin, bad attitude and selfishness which by the way, I think is a gift from God because I certainly do not have that naturally) we get to witness these impossible things, really self centered, cool, bully type teens slowly change and start caring for the socially awkward, geeky teens as an example.
I see that as movement towards God. Something God did in their hearts to draw them towards himself.
Now, these teens could still be drinking a bit and smoking and cussing up a storm but on the black and white scale, there has been movement towards white. Does that make sense?
Cold, hateful, scornful and rude attitudes in regards to the thought of there being a god are replaced with mystery and some sort of a sense of wonder.
Strongly expressed opinions of God being hateful and revenge hungry and completely turning His back on His creation are replaced with hope and a new imagination for what God could be like.
Maybe He too sit on couches with us, sharing our pain, listening to our cries for justice, gently redirects our lives towards health and beauty?
I think there are conversions happening, they are taking time. If a large ship in the ocean is turning, I guess there will become a point when we can say that it has turned completely, but it is also true that it has been turning for some time, and maybe even having to turn some more later on (have I just shot myself in the foot theologically speaking)?

No comments: